The exhibition consists of a dental clinic with treatment room, waiting room and a laboratory. Most of the inventory and equipment belonged to Anders Sandvig. The chair is from the 1850-60s and is one of the oldest in the country. In front of the chair, a drill with a footswitch, the first one Anders Sandvig owned. He had a mechanic put it together from the underbody of a sewing machine and the uppers from a discarded drill.
Due to technological changes and new inventions during the 1800s, the dentistry changed from being a brutal craftmanship to becoming a clinical medical discipline.
In 1880, while Anders Sandvig was taking his education, there were 34 dentists in Norway.
Four monters are telling about the dentist Anders Sandvig and gives a glimpse into the history of dentistry.
Read more about our other exhibitions here.
More activities in the Daily programme-calendar.